Originally Posted by Greenwood
So, last weekend of the year, and my 904 gave up the ghost coming out of the burnout box on Saturday morning. It appears that the sprag called it a day, but we won't know until it gets yanked. At least that gives me a reason to up the ante on the converter. I'll step up to one that can flash to over 5000. The current unit will hit 4700 on the t-brake, but only flashes to 4000 when I footbrake it, and the t-brake is worth a tenth in the 60' right now. What are people's thoughts on the value of a 2.74 low gear behind a 360 that makes modest amounts of torque in a 3000 lb car? I am running a 5.13 gear already, so I would think that adding 12% more gear along with another 1000 rpm of converter should really make this thing leave.

Something way wrong elsewhere if there is a tenth difference between the foot and the brake.
I have never seen any difference to speak of either way, same 60 foot either way if convertor is correct for the build.
Regards flash, the convertor flashes only one way/ amount
. Drive at 10 Mph in the pits in high gear and whap the throttle. Watch the tach, where the needle jumps to is the flash. You might be talking about the rpm you can hold the car with at the starting line before it moves foot braking.. That will definitely be less than the flash. Its supposed to be. Its a combination of how good your brakes are, front tire size, how loose the convertor is, etc. Lots of factors. Some/ many cars actually work better launching off the foot at a lower rpm( like 1500 or 2000) because the suspension is more “ relaxed” or you get a better run at the convertor. Trying different launch rpm can be used to dial in reaction time too.
Light 3000 pound car i wouldn't bother with a low gear. Get the convertor right, it will 60 fine. It spreads out 1 st and second gear to much for my liking

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8