Well, I guess that's possible and the owner's manual says to change it regularly. But I have to say, that of all the stuff we work on, I have personally NEVER seen an instance where not changing the brake fluid has caused a problem. Never.

Just one example; our shop has an '02 Town and Country van with 245k miles that we still use for towing cars and hauling parts home from St. Louis. Most of the brake fluid in it is original. Some got changed when we replaced the front calipers, but most is original. No problems so far. That is only one example of hundreds of vehicles we have worked on that still had the original brake fluid. And many, like the Town and Country, had ABS too.

So, while it may be a good idea to replace the brake fluid, for the vast majority of vehicles, it is a waste of time and money. Now, flushing the cooling system and putting in fresh anti-freeze is something that absolutely should be done regularly. But most people don't and we see the consequences of that all the time.

Master, again and still