I live in the Tri-Cities which is in the southeast portion of Washington State. I really love a lot of things about this area.

Pros-

Work Opportunities:
- We have some awesome work opportunities here. Hanford is just north of town and the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (where I work) is in the north end of town. They work done there is amazing (research and operations). I believe the Tri-Cities has the highest numbers of PhDs per capita than any other place in the US due to the recruiting done at the Lab and Hanford.
- Due to Hanford and the Lab being in town there are a lot of science and technology companies around as well.

The weather:
- we average ~7.5" rain a year
- we get ~6" snow a year on average
- close to 300 days of sunshine a year

Outdoor activities:
- Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers converge here. More water that you know what do with (skiing, fishing, boating, etc)
- Drive one hour east or west to be in the mountains with great hunting (birds, deer, elk, bear, moose, etc)
- a lot of hiking all over eastern Washington

Population:
- Definitely not a small town but far from the big city. ~220K for the three cities (Richland, Pasco, Kennewick)
- Plenty of businesses to provide services and what ever you need.

Cons-
Weather:
- The wind blows here a lot. During the spring and summer we get drainage winds (15-25 mph) during the evenings

Cost of living:
-Houses have gone up a lot here in the last 5-ish years (average is probably $400K-ish, nice homes are $600K+)

Politics:
-THE ENTIRE STATE IS CONTROLED BY THE WEST SIDE (SEATTLE AREA). THE POPULATION OF THE SEATTLE METRO AREA IS HALF THAT OF THE ENTIRE STATE. WHEN YOU COMBINE THAT WITH THE OTHER WEST SIDE CITIES THE EAST SIDE HAS ABSOLUTELY NO SAY IN HOW THE STATE/FEDERAL GOVT IS RUN. I THINK YOU SEE SIMULAR ISSUES IN EASTERN OREGON AND SOME PARTS OF CALIFORNIA.

Overall, I really like where I live (I’ve been here 52 years). I do wish I could have more influence on the State and Federal elected officials but other than that I would highly recommend the area.