Originally Posted by cudaman1969
A friend raced a Corvette tube chassis car that would run 180 mph in the 1/4. Hood blew off and car became very squirmy on top end almost lost it, lucky the chute helped. Like was said aerodynamics plays big time at that mph
iagree
I use to live near El Mirage Dry Lake where Southern California timing Association ran their top end Bonneville type cars during the late fall, winter and early spring months, I went out to watch and ended up asking about what cars needed to go fast out there, I had a 1970 Dodge T/A at that time and I had thought about trying to set a record in stock with that car. The record was right at 175 MPH back then so I did the math on what tire RPM would be needed to run over 175 MPH with a set of 2.76 gears, I ended up not doing it due to the rule about having to have SCTA approve tires on any car going faster than 150.00 MPH back then and I could not buy new ones back then, only used from another racer tsk down twocents
I was told by several old time racers that anyone could go 125 MPH in a lot of stock cars, some could go 150 MPH but it took twice the HP to run 175.00 MPH than it did to run 150.00 MPH shock
They said aerodynamics really came into play above 150 MPH on most race cars work shruggy

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 09/27/20 08:18 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)