I'm working on converting my '64 Dodge 880 to right hand thread wheel studs, so while I'm at it, I figured I would do this while I'm at it. Mopar Tapered Axle Rear Brake Conversion
Has anyone done this conversion? The car has 11" drums, and the parts stores say there's a difference between '69 down, and '70 on. I can't imagine what that difference would be. Is that a mistake? I have a set of '69 rear drums I got new several years ago that warped the first day I used them, and was going to try those just to see how they fit, but when buying new ones, if they only list '70 on, would that be the same thing? The wheel studs called out in the article are for a '70 Olds Delta 88. From what I've read, you want .006-.016" interference on serrated wheel studs. My hub measures .612", and these studs say they are .623", so that's right in the middle. I don't know how loose drums are supposed to be on the wheel studs. I always assumed the center hole located the drum on the axle shaft. I'm just wondering why they went through all the hassle of swedging the studs onto the hub and drum in the first place if it's not important how tight it is. Anyone have some insight on this?