Originally Posted by Tig
Originally Posted by A39Coronet
Originally Posted by Tig
Originally Posted by A39Coronet
The night my 67 lost the scoop going through the lights, I had to run the rest of the evening without it. The car picked up significantly. Did some math, and with the hemi scoop sealed to the carb it was picking up SIGNIFICANTLY more air than the engine needed and the pan wouldn't let it escape. Ran the rest of the career without a carb pan. I think most people who have scoops actually hurt themselves with the opening size.

Being devils advocate here, but that says to me if you had jetted up, you would have gained some H/P, and this agrees with the info in the article I posted above. shruggy

Negative. The scoop was fiberglass and would pop up in the middle indicating it was full. It became a snow plow against incoming air, like trying to push an exercise ball down track at 125mph. The car picked up because it was less drag, not because it was fat and came into range with A/f.

You want to run the smallest scoop you can get away with to make sure there isn't negative, or excessively positive, pressure above the carb. Aerodynamics aren't our friends with these old bricks as it is.

OK, this all makes sense. I have some data logging on the car but won't find out until next year if the new scoop picks up some. But if it does, I'll now be wondering if it's through aero or H/P laugh

Not clear to me in the above example how we know the "Pop up" was from over pressure underneath vs a low pressure above the scoop sucking it up?

Last edited by jcc; 09/24/20 03:12 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.