Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by jcc
I enjoyed the movie, but decades later, this minor detail in the movie stuck with me much more poignantly:

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/surviving-sinking-uss-indianapolis

If you have never read a book about the sinking of the Indianapolis, it's well worth it. I have 3 books about it - one book is a compilation of stories as told by the survivors, & one survivor signed the copy I have. Fascinating stories. It was pure random luck the plane spotted them at all. One more day, & the 317 likely would have perished. An absolutely tragic & amazing story.

Yes I agree 100%, and I have decades back read a books and accounts of the sinking and aftermath.

I suggest anyone that thinks that times might be tough for them, reviewing this story might put their problems in a better perspective.

I believe i discovered maybe 20? separate distinct events leading up to the sinking , that singly had gone different, the tragedy never would have gone so bad.

The standout hero IMO, is the seaplane pilot who disobeyed orders to return to base and instead landed his plane to stay with nearly dead sailors in the water.

An Honorable mention certainly goes to the captain of the warship who in the hostile Pacific waters in a War, lit up his warship like a Christmas tree at night as he cruised from a distance to the remaining sailors to give them a glimmer of hope of being rescued. That image gives me goose bumps.

Last edited by jcc; 08/26/20 08:55 AM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.