As the sun came up on Sunday morning, one thing was very clear. It was going to be a HOT and HUMID day. You could see the humidity, it was so thick. Not 100% sure if the car was going to work under load, and not thrilled at the idea of entering into the Pro class at $125 entry fee, I talked it over with Ted, and asked if it would be OK just entering Test and Tune, and use the time to get the car working better than when it arrived. He was more than understanding, so I went and paid for my tech card, and handed it in. Testing didn't start until the second time trials were complete. At 12:01, I pulled the car into the water box. It definitely sounded better. Held the line lock button to the count of three, and the M/T slicks bit. Bump the tires into the staging beams, and hold down this goofy button, that I still don't understand. The tree is activated, and I mash the throttle, the trans brake is holding, and the 2 step is set at 3600? Release the button, and the car leaves fairly hard with a 1.44 60' time. It's very clear the new plugs helped a ton. The 512 is now pulling hard to 6300, and on comes the shift light. Pull the shifter, and I guess by magic, the fluid coupler changes a gear. Again the big block is making decent power, no miss, and again the shift light comes on, and I pull the Vintage Sidewinder shifter into 3rd, and again, by magic the 727 shifts. just before the 1/4 mile stripe the shift light flickers, so it must be geared where it needs to be. I take a right hand turn onto the return road, and am more than happy to remove my helmet, and open the door, as in the short time I'm in the car, I'm already wringing wet, from sweating. Get the time slip, and was rewarded with a 10.42 ET, and 125mph slip. That's more like it. The car has ran 10.0's in the past, so I knew it was off, but when I got back to the trailer, we checked the DA, and it was already at 4500'. Not ideal for making new personal bests.

tboomer3.jpg

69 GTX 68 Road Runner