As many here know, Ted aka tboomer, has a 1964 Dodge 330, that he has raced for quite a few years. He's won a footbrake Championship with it, during that time. Unfortunately Ted has not been able to drive the car himself because of medical reasons. Like most hot rodders, it's not easy to just walk away from the sport/hobby that you love, so Ted has kept the car, while hoping to one day get the OK from the doctor to drive it once again. Ted has also become a big promoter of the local Mopar Race at Cedarfalls Raceway, and would like to see the Race/Show grow. Knowing Ted wanted to see his car go down the track again, He and I contacted one another, and made a plan to run his car at CFR, since my Road Runner is down and out for the year. My good buddy Mike and his Daughter were planning on going to the event to race, so I loaded up my extra race gas, jacket, and helmet. I told him, I'd cover the entry fees, just get the car to the track. He had already sent in his seat belts to be updated, and they were on the way back. Ted then said he thought the fuel pump was going out. Asked a few questions, and was pretty sure what it needed, so I brought along my electrical supplies as well.

Ted arrived at the track on Friday maybe 45 minutes before Mike and I did. I could tell through the text messages he was excited to be at the track with his car. We all parked next to each other, that way If the car needed anything, we have plenty of tools and people to help. After getting the car unloaded, I adjusted the new seat belts and made sure they were ready. Upon firing the car up, the fuel pump quit working. Earlier in the week I had asked Ted if the pump had a relay on it, and he said no it didn't. Knowing that, I brought with a somewhat prewired 40amp relay, and quickly got it wired into the car. The pump worked perfectly from that point on. Ted gave me the layout of buttons, and switches in the car. One of the hardest parts of driving someone else's car is the orientation of switches. I'm so used to my own stuff, it's just muscle memory. the 64 is somewhat similar to my car, so not much of a problem. Fire the car up, and the 512ci Super Victor headed Big Block fires right up, and sounds pretty good. I wheel the car around the pits a couple times, then head to tech. They know the car, so tech isn't really much. Thanks for showing up...

Drove the car up to the staging lanes, and told Ted, I'm just going to make a foot brake 330' hit to see what the car does, and make sure everything is working properly. Pull into the water box, and do about a 3 second burnout, and the car dies. Remember that part of muscle memory and switches? I forgot to turn on the fuel pump... Flip the switch, and fuel pressure goes right to 6lbs. Car fires right back up, so I pull it into the beams. Now I'm not RainMan, and I don't have the time slips in front of me, so I'm going off memory here. The car leaves decent from foot brake, and does a mid 1.40 60' time. At the top of second gear, it has a miss, and it's time to get out of it anyways. Did I get into the Rev limiter? My limited experience in running a car with a automatic is pretty clear at this point. Just not used to the shifter, and maybe pulled it late?

tboomer.jpg

69 GTX 68 Road Runner