The reason for the recent drop off in "postal efficiency" is COVID. All 3 major shippers I deal with (and I'm not talking about the drivers) coming right from the managers is they are handling HISTORIC volumes, "like Xmas" but with fewer employees. Usually the shipping companies staff up for the holiday but they actually have fewer people than non holiday times.

The USPS has been a mess for a while. They lose a LOT of packages we ship. From Nov till Feb shipments have been chronically late for years. For the past few years they have cost me many thousands of dollars in late/lost packages. I'm told when they start getting an influx of holiday shipments they jam the packages in semi trailers and hope after the holidays they can catch up. They all do this; USPS, UPS and FedEx. I've seen it first hand at all 3 depots.

At the USPS things HAVE to change. Get rid of mailboxes. Smart move. Thats so 1950's. I mean the mailman goes to every house. Why would be need mailboxes. Letters should cost $5 to send. I pay all my bills online. I havent sent a letter in 10 years. If its important it goes UPS or FedEx. Grandma birfday, she gets a phone call or we stop by. In fact house to house letter and junkmail delivery is CRAZY. If i were in charge I'd change to a giant "po box" kind of system. They only thing that should be delivered are packages. Things that cant be sent electronically.

Heck even the devil, Amazon, is a 7-10 days (my daughter tells me). Not 2 days. Whats his excuse?