Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
The Sierra Club and other tree hugger groups have pretty much put a stop to clearing the underbrush and doing the other things necessary to keep fires from becoming huge. More people also live in fire prone areas.

As to why people still live here. Aside from the fires (and this is the worst I've seen them in my 60 years as far as so many at the same time) there is no place on earth that has our natural amenities with our great weather. I can drive north and be in Yosemite in an hour, 2-1/2 hours west and be at the ocean. Our San Joaquin Valley feeds the world in spite of our California politicians playing with water allotments. There are days that I would rather be somewhere else, but most days I love where I live.

Mr Potato head, the fires of the great plains were an integral part of the vast grasslands, as it is for the coniferous and oak woodlands. Some trees and shrubs cannot replicate without fire.
Between environmental regs, warm dry weather patterns and change of firefighting strategy (liability and environment improvement fires are becoming larger and more devastating because people live at the interface and no maintenance buffer exists.
The problem is manual clearing of undergrowth is not the answer. The only way to get the environment to grow back into the mixed cover types (grass, shrubs, hardwood and coniferous) is to let nature do her thing.
There is simply too much biomass generated every year to be manually removed. A lot of the areas burning in California have recently previously burned, the grass and shrubs that first reappear burn regularly.
A huge issue is the conversion of cover types and woodlands are being replaced by grass and brush. and inadequate winter rains and loss of top soil will not support tree growth for many years.
I can't agree with Jim more of life quality. In the sparsely populated north california provides access to some of the globes most pristine scenic lands, air and water.
Cost of living is not bad in rural areas and taxes are protected by prop 13.
Now, if we were not a donor state and could retain our wealth we would be excelled in infrastructure and maintenance of our public places. But, apparently other states need Californias money more.