I am amazed at the mis-information presented and illusions some have of the situation and people in CA. It's well known many believe everything they hear.
Unfortuntely insurance companies have set the stage. Laws exist to abate nuisance vegetation and prosecutors rather not enforce laws and ordinances.
It's ironic that people whom decry they will do what they want (here) regularly have opinions about the condition of how people allow their property to become fuel. It's their choice right?
Myself? I maintain our property firesafe and CAL Fire inspects bi annual and gives me A rating - no additional work required, I live in the woods.
Before settlement regular fires kept the environment in check, and regular HUGE fires were a part of the earth. FIres in the great plains would burn for months until the rains came.
Without straying into the politics of global weather pattern shift in my short (geologic) life I have seen a shift in weather patterns AND vegetation stands.
Quit worrying about minuscule happenings like fires (that bother insurance co's the most) and beware the next time a Krakatoa, Vesuvius, Barringer Meteor or Yellowstone let loose.
Fires sheesh, we can't handle a pandemic, watch out when something big happens.