Originally Posted by lewtot184
Originally Posted by cjskotni
Originally Posted by lewtot184
lazy pump cams and big squirters don't work for light to part throttle tip in. driving on the street vs running on the track require different accelerator pump tuning.

So are you saying the red cam + 45 nozzle isn't a good choice for a street car? If that's true what would you suggest? A more aggressive cam and smaller nozzle?
yes. for OP's carb i'd try a .028" squirter with tubes and a green pump cam to start out with. those lazy cams are ok for the secondaries but work poorly for light tip-in which most street driving is. if all you do is race and your just stabbing the throttle and go then big and lazy can work. I want my cars to drive nice with no spits, hiccups, or flat spots and I don't do the big squirter slow action accelerator pump stuff. big squirters and lazy pump cams don't provide enough pressure in the accelerator pump circuit to push fuel into the air stream at light throttle. generally fuel will dribble down the side of the venturi and not mix in the air stream creating a flat spot. the old 950 3bbls (which have the same throttle bore and venturi on the primary side as an 850) used a .028" squirter with tubes with the blue 427 cam and drove great.

Wow so much information but I would expect nothing less! thumbs

I went ahead and swapped to the green cam (#1 position), adjusted the pump arm (.015), and dropped to the #28 nozzle (no tubes). I took her out and part throttle tip in is good as is nailing it while already moving. However, if you nail it from a standstill, it does have a slight bog. However, this is much less than it was before I started all this tinkering.

The bog is slight enough that I think going up a nozzle size should fix it. When the car cools down, I will swap to a #30 nozzle and take it back out. Once I find the right nozzle, is it really worth it to order one with the tubes?

Thanks as always for the input everyone. This fall, I will likely take the car to the dyno and get it tuned which will address and issues with PV or jetting (which I think are already close). drive