I am a big believer in man's short sighted never ending quest to improve on mother nature. My first lesson moving to Florida and the name of the game was to "drain" the Everglades, straighten/deepen the rivers feeding Lake Okeechobee. Well that resulted in starving the acquirer leading to annual water shortages and salt water intrusion of shore line wells, and the river straightening led to gross pollution/sediment loads from the up river farms causing huge and nasty lake algae blooms, fish kills, etc. Man needs to to live within his limits, eventually.

Having been around hurricanes for over 6 decades, few seem to understand and appreciate the real function they likely serve the planet, but not man. I use the heated pot of water example. The universe seeks equilibrium and balance. When the water gets too hot on the bottom of the pot, and the heat applied can't equalize fast enough by normal circulation, the water forms a high energy steam bubble, and it quickly takes the high energy steam to the top surface and dissipates that extra energy, much faster them liquid water just heating up the air in contact with the waters surface.

Hurricanes IMO effectively do the same thing. They take an enormous amount of stored thermal energy from the ocean near the equator, and move it northward into cooler areas, all to quickly assist in finding equilibrium. Its a well know fact ocean temps drop immediately after the path of a hurricane.

Sahara dust inhibits hurricane formation, and I suspect actually increases the thermal heating of the ocean waters. Meaning, we may not be having hurricanes, but the water temps may be increasing higher/faster then normal, potentiality leading to stronger future hurricanes at the least for this season.

This might trully be the quiet before the storm.

https://www.seatemperature.org/

Last edited by jcc; 07/02/20 04:50 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.