Originally Posted by 71rm23
Thank you for all that replied. I'm looking for a scanner for the "do it yourselfer". Like to have one to read codes, be able to get info on what it is, correct the issue, and erase the check engine light.

In the Do-It-Yourself category I see two options.
Do you just want the codes and look them up on your Computer/Phone or do you want it to tell you what the code is.

If you get the advanced units that do ABS / TPMS they rarely do it correctly or thoroughly unless you pay big bucks,

I have found the problem with ones that tell you how to fix it, is that they give you a generic how to fix it when the problem may be more involved or not even what they say.

I had a car that threw an O2 sensor code when the MAP sensor went bad. It was a common problem with that model.

With any scanner do a little research to be sure it is the correct fix.

I have two a $40 Actron that just reads & erases codes. It also tell you if the computer is reset. I use it as a loaner when people need to drive until the computer resets. It lets them know when it is ready. I also have a $200 Craftsman/Actron It give me more info and simplifies quick checks.