You really need to determine what you're using it on and what you're using it for. What are future needs? Is the tool updateable or will it be obsolete? Scanning a 2001 is not the same as scanning a 2018. Some of the info is the same but much is different. For instance...in 2001 you had a few modules on a car that you might access for info.....a 2020 Vette has 100+ modules living on multiple networks all behind a gateway module(most new vehicles will head in this direction for computer architecture). Not sure how much info you will access on a vehicle like that with a $20 dongle and a free app.....maybe some but surely not all.Do you want bi-directional controls to aid in diag? Limited on inexpensive tools.What about snapshot/movie capabilities(very helpful with intermittent issues). Access to manufacture codes as well as generic codes? Many cheap scanners won't access manufacture specific codes.

Just some thoughts on the scan tool discussion.Things you might want access to:
Codes( Manufacture and generic)
Freeze frame data
monitor status
live data
bi-directional controls
generic OBD II data(modes 1-10)
all modules like ABS,SRS,IPC,TCM, BCM,TPMS, etc etc

I've been at this since computers came on board in the early 80s and have had my hands on a bunch of different tools.....from handheld code readers to factory tools.......trust me, there is a BIG difference in capabilities. Do your research and find something that meets your needs now AND in the future. Cheap is not always best.

Last edited by Dcuda69; 06/22/20 10:55 PM.