Originally Posted by not_a_charger
As I stated, the dealership has nothing to do with this. The lease turn-in inspection is done by someone who is hired by the leinholder, not the dealership. The dealership, if they have their own body shop, would no doubt like the work, but that's as far is it goes. If they only have a service department, and you had the dealership do it, they would just send it out to whichever shop they use for body/paint work.

My lease worked exactly as above.

The third party came and inspected the vehicle and reported damage that would either need repaired before return or I would receive a bill from the lienholder upon the return.
I had hit a deer so I had a cracked bumper cover and a bunch of bent stuff behind it. The value of the damage was only $1500 so I chose to return it with the damage. I felt a body shop would charge me far more to fix it. Return to the dealer was smooth as silk. I don't even recall them looking at it. Just signed a few papers outlining the bill I would be receiving and we were out of there. A bill showed up a month later along with the other charges as noted in your lease.

Read you lease carefully. And follow the return process to the letter. You will probably be surprised to find is are a handling fee when you return and a few other things. I think it was around $500 bucks that I had not read the "fine print" about.