Originally Posted by SportF
Notice I said 9", not Ford. As far as 3 second cars go, I guess I'm talking 3 bearing pinions in a drop out.

At 2 different NSS races I saw 3 Dana's break taking out the trans with it. I'm sure those guys would have paid good money if they could go back in time and change rears. I'm running a Strange myself, but not going all that fast that I'd break a Dana. Its just that the drop out style is actually fun to work on.

Exactly why I said 9" gears smile Most will be 9.5 or 10" geared centers. Not for the faint of wallet but neither is a 3 second car.

As for the Dana comments on strength. I have had them in my Valiant 9.0's at 3470 this was an S60 rear end as far as I know it is still in the car to this day. My S/ST car also had a Dana, stock narrowed housing, stock caps and a street gear. That rear end is still in the car to this day. A couple thousand laps later, with a 4 link and wheelie bars. It was 2975 and had been almost 171 all out. Neither ever broke anything. Can it happen sure, happens with 9" stuff all the time too, we have broken two gears in the dragster so far. 9" Strange bolt thru center deals. it happens.

But I don't think Andy is here to debate the merits of which is better or stronger. He needs to make a change to accomplish his goal. He does not have a car making 4 digit power so buy accordingly. If you are working with Dr Diff he will steer you in the right direction on parts selection. If the car is never going to be raced then the requirements are far less costly for something that will live a long happy life than they will be in an 8 second racecar.

Pics for attention smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"