I'd like to get this groups thoughts on the value of modifications for increased stiffness in the core support of a late ('73-'79) B-body.

A quick summary of what the car is, where it's at, and where I might like to go with it.

The car is a 1977 Cordoba, 400 4bbl. car. 38k miles, all stock (and worn). A full front end rebuild will be performed - ball joints, control arm bushings (OE rubber), maybe beefier tie rods, a quicker ratio pitman if it will fit, larger torsion bars, probably staying with factory anti-sway bars with urethane end links until I see the effect of the heavier torsion bars. I will run aluminum pucks/bushings at the K member, and replacing the iso-clamps on the rear axle with an earlier solid design.

Goal: This is my second big block Cordoba, the prior being a '78 that I actually did a little autocrossing in. I also taught advanced driver education (for police, fire/EMS, executive chauffeur) in a St. Regis R-body. So I know what it can do, and what it's shortcomings are, in my opinion. Generically, I want to improve this cars handling, but have no true pro-touring, Ultimate Street Car Challenge. or regular/weekly autocross or road course work plans. But if I decided to make a run through the cones, or spend a day at a local track, it would be nice not to be cornering on the rims. A roughly 300 horse all iron bigblock, 727, 3.23 geared 8.75 will power it. Sub-frame connectors and torque boxes of a home made variety. Hoping to shave a few pounds where practical (battery, bumper reinforcements and bumper shock absorber system), but no exotic materials. Probably two sets of rims...an '80s vintage set of forged aluminum factory Cordoba rims with some T/As or something similar for the street, and perhaps some 17s with a little better tire for play. Effort, but not max effort by any means.

This car has been in our family since new, and has been sitting idle for about 20 years while the kids grew up. Now I have a chance to dig into it. So I started with work to replace/improve the battery situation (losing 50 pounds off the extreme left front corner of the car), and having the stock radiator rebuilt (going from single core to double). Doing some clean-up while I'm in the engine compartment. With the fan, clutch, shroud and radiator out, visibility of the current core support lower is very good.

Looking cross-car in section (profile), it looks approximately like this.

[Linked Image]

Front of car is to the left. Red is a more conventional looking right angle style support running between the body frame rails. The black is a second layer, spot welded together to form a box of sorts, then shaped to form a bit of a skid plate that totally protects the lower tank. That black layer measures roughly 0.1" (3/16th - ish) with my caliper in thickness. Sorry, my hand drawing is an approximation. Green would be the condenser, and behind that the radiator.

So, given the front suspension that is fully mounted on the K-member, (see Magnum picture below), with the elements listed above: Is it worth the effort to crate some additional reinforcement of the lower core support while I have good access? Like getting a second lower "skid plate" from a salvage yard, and welding it over the top for increased material thickness?

I appreciate any input you might have on this topic.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DynoDave; 05/12/20 12:02 AM.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba