Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I don't know that I agree with the above recommendations. For what would normally be considered a truck cam then yes 100% agree, but an off road sand dune racer or mud racer you will be spinning the engine a lot higher. Low RPM torque is not in your best interest here. Now rock climbing, pulling a trailer or general dirt trail driving is a different story. With all the gear available in a 4WD vehicle the extra RPMs are very useable. As for the converter I know a stock 11" converter from a HP BB car works fine with the MP 284 cam.

He did say weekend driver/sand truck. I guess it depends on which way he is leaning more towards. Wouldn't those two cams that he already has be complete dogs on the street? I'm assuming with it being a 4x4 he'll be running some pretty tall tires to boot. Is a factory converter and 3.9 gears going to be enough? I'd think in a street car, but not something like this.

Besides, what about compression? If that is a late 70's 440 what is the compression at, 7.5:1? Even with closed chambered heads you're at maybe, 8.5:1? That's still a full point under the recommended compression.

Instead of something as docile as the Summit cam, split the difference between that and what he has available?

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60