Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
I’d use a brass hammer and tap the intake valve a few times and see if it improves.
It could be as simple as some heavy carbon deposits on the valves, keeping them from properly seating.
Fast68Plymouth, I tried tapping the valve with air applied.

Actually, I placed a block of wood of top of the spring and tapped that with a steel hammer because I didn't have a brass one. The change was not what I was expecting, but it confirmed my initial suspicion. When I tapped it, air began gushing right past the valve itself. I removed the spring and hooked it back up again and it sealed. So that's telling me that there is a small bit of play in the valves that can cause them to not be perfectly aligned when manipulated. It could be that the spring is off center or whatever, after manually compressing it. So I believe I just need to run the motor and hopefully things will vibrate into place.

Just in case there is carbon buildup affecting things, I'm also going to run a can of CRC intake valve cleaner through it, right before I change the oil. I'll also run a compression test after I drive it for a while. I say all this, with the hope that it even freakin starts, after all this work. grin

I do appreciate the help fellas.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04/18/20 11:23 PM.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT
4.7L V8, Automatic (545RFE), RWD
310K mi