Just did this exact thing the other day on my 383 with an Edelbrock Performer. There's probably many opinions but this is the way I do it.

1) Yes on the gasket adhesive. Makes it so the gaskets don't slide around so much. They still will a bit but it's better to have it on there.

2) I started out with the paper gaskets on both sides of the valley pan but found it was too tight and the bolts would not line up. Took the extra gaskets off between the cylinder head and valley pan, went right down and the bolts threaded easily. Just make sure to check alignment as best as you can looking through the plenum with a flashlight before final torque.

3) My personal choice for sealing goop from a tube is grey Permatex. On the front and rear hold down rails schmeer a bead of goop on the outside of the three bolt holes to reduce the chance of it falling inside at some point.

4) Spread goop on the corners where the heads meet the block. Don't be shy on that but don't make a mess. Spread it out with a finger to make it even so you don't have it squishing out all over the place. Connect it going around the corners up the heads a little. Be prepared for the tips of gaskets to slide around when the goop gets on them. That's why you try to keep it to a minimum and spread it evenly.

5) Work quick but don't rush!

6) Tighten the bolts from the inside outwards, alternating back and forth on either side. Don't forget your throttle bracket and return when putting the bolts in.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500