Originally Posted by NachoRT74
Originally Posted by dvw
Like I said. Tie the dk blue and brown together. That will provide you with battery voltage running and cranking. Nothing more. nothing less. The ballast purpose was never to protect the coil. It was to protect points or old ECUs. If Your ECU doesn't need a ballast it doesn't need diodes relays or anything else.
Doug

Wel, if you search for info about that you find stuff like this

How do Ballast Resistors Work?

The ignition system on a classic car is often far from perfect. Ideally, your coils would like to see a certain voltage to operate at peak performance. Your vehicle’s charging system may produce more voltage than it needs to power the coils. When your coils are overpowered, they tend to wear out, break, and require frequent replacement.

Ballast Resistor for Automotive Applications

The ballast resistors are often included in the ignition kit of automotive machines such as car engines. Due to its application, such devices are called Ignition Ballast Resistor. Use of this device reduces the risk of coil failure. It is installed in the circuit between the primary voltage source for the ignition coil and the coil stud. This helps to reduce the coil voltage and coil current, therefore with the addition of the same, the coil does not get as heated as it would without the same, thus increasing the life of the coil.

However, during the starting of the ignition engine, a high voltage equal to the primary voltage source is needed. Therefore a jumper wire is often connected with the ballast resistor. This jumper wire provides the necessary voltage to make the engine start.

Not arguing with you but just posting what I find.

Then can you explain why coils used on aftermarket fuel injection, MSD, and current production coils don't fail when they are run without a ballast resistor? A lot of incorrect information can be found on the internet. Many times hard to wade through it all to find fact. My background? 46 years in auto repair as a tech. Currently work at FCA engineering in the Electrical Lab debugging new vehicle prototype electrical issues. Do I know everything? Nope. But been doing this stuff a long time.
Doug