You really need to know if people talking about advancing the cams are talking about crankshaft degrees or camshaft degrees, correct work
I always use crankshaft degrees when talking about advancing camshafts but people some don't work scope
The first camshaft I had to degree to get the motor to run halfway decently was a 392 hemi in a V drive flat bottom ski boat, I didn't know about cam timing and degree checking off of the lifters instead of the valves at that time or about lobe separation angles. realcrazy I do now up
The cam was a Sig Erson solid roller cam for ski boat racing and it was ground 8 crankshaft degrees retarded from 110 LSA on the intake lobes, they recommended running the intake lobe center at 108 and when I finally got to checking it properly it was installed at 118 ILC puke They insisted it was anything but their cam being ground wrong, they wouldn't replace it with one ground correctly down
I ended up using the LSA method to get it where they wanted it by using offset keys on both the cam and crankshaft wrench The only good thing that I learned form that is how to use LSA for cam timing verification and cam installing off of the intake lobes up BTW, I always verify the exhaust lobes to make sure the cam is ground on the LSA the cam card says it is scope If it is a 108 LSA grind and installed at 104 after top dead center on the intake lobes on the crankshaft the exhaust lobes should be in it at 112 before top dead center to be ground correctly scope I have seen more than one cam ground wrong on the LSA from several different cam companies whiney
I never bought another Sig Erson cam after that one though thumbs
Never, NEVER install any cam by aligning the dots and ASSUMIMNG it is installed straight up, always verify scope twocents
OP, I've installed and ran and raced a bunch of motors and check all the cam timing and tested a bunch of cams in different motors advanced, straight up and retarded, none of the Mopar V8 motors like straight up or retarded, they all like the cams advanced at least four crankshaft degrees up None of them liked or ran faster or made more power advanced more than six crankshaft degrees shruggy work
IHTHs

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 04/01/20 04:09 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)