This is the first time messing with a 4spd 4 me. 1971 plymouth RR, 383 4sp. Over the counter NAPA replacement diaphragm clutch. All parts are new. Rebuilt clutch pedal assembly, all new rod assembly, clutch fork, Z-bar, etc. I replaced everything with new OEM stuff.

When I first got everything assembled and installed (car has no front clip yet, so yard driving) I adjusted the clutch and it felt good. About a month later, of just pulling it in and out of the garage to tinker on, the clutch started acting funny. I'd push it in 1 time, felt fine, push it in a few seconds later and it would release less, then push it in again, and it would barely come up off the floor. Made multiple adjustments and only got a temporary fix, only to go back the way it was.

Do I need to take out the clutch pedal spring? I had to find a replacement set of clutch pedals (original 4spd/replaced with automatic) and am now wondering if the spring is too stiff (IE, a 440 spring, rather than 340/383).

What else could I be missing? Bearing/fork not aligned right? Z-bar is new also, so I'm pretty sure its for the correct application.

Thanks
Chris