Originally Posted by fastmark
Wading through the crap you guys post, I did not read most of it. So, to answer the OP question with an example that I have personal knowledge. I stored a car for a guy that moved off. He promised to come get it for about three years and never did. The previous owner of the car found it one day in the back of my shop. He described some events that had taken place in the deal that had lead to the transfer of the car. It was not a proper transaction and most people would agree. He went to the DMV. The car was still in his name. He got a lost title. He came to me and said ,” you have MY car in your yard, I want it”. I Went to the DMV and they said as far as the state is concerned, it belongs to the guy with his name LEGALLY in the Texas records. Anything other than that would require a civil law suit and a court would decide. I opened the gate and gave the guy with the title in his hand, the car. I called the guy that stored the car with me and told him to take up the issue with the State and his buddy that he got the car from or bring a lawsuit. The guy with the title in his hand still has the car.

This is exactly why you transfer the title into your name.
Any new title that the state assigns supersedes that previous title and that's printed right on the new title.

Whether it's a race car or off road vehicle unless the title is in your name you take the risk of a previous legal owner getting a duplicate title and then having legal ownership.

Non Title states may be completely different.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol