Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
Yellow paint peeking out all over, yellow was used for industrial engines for years.

Edit - An online search for '440 industrial' lead to this page - https://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

Thanks for the link. up That may help with a 440 complete engine that I have that I was told was "an over the counter 440 HP2 block purchased in 1969 for an Excalibur Kit Car". It is stamped E 440, 3 28, HP2 and no VIN and an odd I.D. plate that is nail riveted to the bell housing that read E440. I contacted GG years ago on it and he felt it was an over the counter '69 and not a marine or industrial engine. Later I contacted a former Dodge engineer that was in charge of Dodge engine development from 1962 - 2005 and he checked with others and the conclusion was also that it was an over the counter 440 engine. I still wondered if it might be an industrial engine but am agreeing with the others that it is NOT an industrial engine after seeing these blocks below and this from 440 Source's web page:

"One other addendum.. Some 413/426/440 blocks commonly known as "industrial / cold weather or heavy duty truck" blocks have another pattern all together, with even more reinforcements. Shown below is one of these."

440 multi rib INDUSTRIAL cold weather block.jpg440 ribbed standard and HP Block 1969 on 001.jpgDSC01912.JPGDSC01935.JPG