Originally Posted by CMcAllister
You're trying to fill and pressurize a 1/2'" diameter passage, which feeds all of the oil leaks in the engine and needs to be kept full and under pressure. The pump has to draw oil through whatever plumbing you're using to feed it and accomplish that. Anything you do to relieve the restriction on the inlet side of the pump will help it to do it's job.

As the pump turns it opens an internal space between the rotors that creates a vacuum. The vacuum creates a suction to draw oil in through the inlet(s). Reducing the restriction to the fluid getting to the cavity improves the efficiency of the pump and helps avoid cavitation.

The original configuration is designed to adequately supply the pump requirements at normal RPM levels. Double - or even approach triple - the speed of the pump while using original sized inlet plumbing creates multiple issues.

Anything you do to reduce that restriction to the fluid being drawn into the vacuum created between the rotors, including allowing that fluid to enter both sides of the open space, will help make the pump work more efficiently and without cavitation.

Hummmm. Hummmm, (Thinking) up Dual stock size 3/8's inch pipe should be more than enough. Hummmm.

Originally Posted by poboyengineering
I'm curious about the bent pick up. I have an old MP cover, and it has the bottom inlet. My thought was just a straight drop and pull the oil from the top of the screen. Is there an advantage to either arrangement?

I am coming straight out and down with a slight S bend to a modified stock screen. I am a retired low volt electrician so I have bent 1,000 of sticks of EMT. I put a standard S bend in the pipe that is for a wall switch box with my hand 1/2 inch bender. The S bend goes forward and down so it fits the Milodon 10 1/2 inch sump.

Home made 1.jpgHome made 3.jpgKevko 2.jpgPipe Plug.jpg

Retired, US ARMY 1973-1994
ASE mechanic, Electrical 1994-1997
Retired GTE/VERIZON/FRONTIER 1997-2015

Posting cheap tech help (CRAP) here since Nov 97, 1000's of posts, some may be good.

03 Suzuki Burgman 650(Burger King) Scooter
65 Formula S Cuda
78 Little Red Express Truck
98 Buick Regal (wifes car)