Originally Posted by RSI700VIPER
Originally Posted by dragon slayer
What part number on your distributor tag? Starting in 68 cars where Emission cars with CAP. So besides leaning out carb, the distributor specs changed. Do you know what Letters are on the Cam stop plate?

For 70 normally looking at 13-15deg distributor advance. So that puts in 26-30 at balancer. Depending on Standard or Auto transmission. Timing was set between 0 degree to about 2.5 BTDC.
If distributor is worn, or sloppy, you will have even more advance. So what is your initial set at 8?

What is your carb jetting, is it stock CAP lean, or jetted richer?

I don't have the distributor tag numbers handy but I'm pretty sure it was for a 1970 manual trans with a date of November 1969, but who knows if the tag was replaced or not. Jetting - I'm using 64s which is a little richer than the stock 62s. Maybe I should just plug the vacuum advance, set initial timing at 18 degrees so I end up with a total of 34 degrees? Will the car even start with 18 degrees initial?
I think a '70 manual trans Prestolite is going to have around 35 crankshaft degrees in it. if so that's your problem with 8 degrees initial.