So your source's way is the only way, right? You are referring to one and only one method of refinishing. As posted above, there are other methods. I only offered a method that is very close to O.E., is easily accessible, affordable, and permanent. And my method was accepted by the judges at the Mopar Nationals. My '71 GTX was awarded 95 points and was OE Certified.

The OE Cert judges had no problem with that method of finish for that car's alternator. But you do.

As to 'correct', that is a very relative term.

Does the OP want the alternator to look like it had just been coated at the manufacturing plant? Does he want it to look like it looked off the transport? Or like it looked at the time of retail delivery, which could be months later? Or like it looked after awhile of daily driving? The pics above of an alternator after all these years is my point. Many, if not most of the finishes on our Mopars when new, did not wear well.

And as I said, I personally have never thought the temporary look of an item fresh from the manufacturer was an accurate representation of what it would look like after a short time. Whether the part sat on a shelf in inventory, or sat on a vehicle sitting at the plant, hit inclement weather on the transport on the way to the dealership, whether it sat on the dealer's lot for weeks or months, or what it looked like a short time after retail delivery.

And that doesn't even go into the issue of whether every single alternator ever produced during that era looked EXACTLY the same. We know better. Especially with Mopar.

Today, 50 years later, people argue/discuss what every item on a particular car from a particular plant looked like originally. Well, what it looked like often changed by the week and the month. And often never looked like it did the day it was actually produced by the time the new owner was actually driving the car. The finishes were simply not meant to last.

OP; pick your preferred look and go for it. Satisfy yourself, because there is no way to know just exactly what that alternator looked like at the time of that car's retail delivery.

Master, again and still