Originally Posted by A39Coronet
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by BSharp
Most of us pine for the days when NASCAR actually ran stock cars, but there's no doubt modern safety equipment saved Newman's life.

Hard to blame Bobby Isaac for hearing the voices.

All the current safety equipment could today fit inside a stock outer sheet metal car, and it would be a lot less aero, and also negate the need for any restrictors.

Someone other then the fans and viewers must have a dog in this fight, because it makes the most sense IMO. .

I completely agree. Id even go one step further and say I'd like to see them run production based engines. No restrictions needed as you'd be restricted by general designs and capabilities. You see a common theme in Motorsports...the equipment becomes so refined you fall too far to the side of the bellcurve. Dragracing is no different to me.

Amazing to see Newman walk out of the hospital today, lucky indeed.

Take a look at european sedan racing. Can't think of the series name and it's mostly Audis and Mercs on road courses but pretty sure it's production bodies with roll cages. Australian Supercars is another one and those things are crazy fast. World Rally cars are also stock bodied based, crazy fast and no safe walls - just big trees and rocks. Nascar took a left in to tube chassis in the 80s and it's been downhill from there. Can't imagine it changing anytime soon.