HI all,
I have a few questions after taking a stab at rebuilding a 904 tf myself only to have it last 2500mi.

First thing I noticed going wrong was 2nd to third shift started getting almost un-noticeable but once engaged no slip at all.

Then did its first filter and fluid change and saw a little to much friction material (fine, no big chunks or metal)
100mi later trans will not up shift to 3rd gear 1st & 2nd are still very good as is reverse, still strong.

Pull trans from Javelin / front pump sealing rings look good /direct drum frictions look intact But signs of heat in the steels some light bluing coloration and they feel hard as glass like slick to the touch.

Ok, can someone tell me if the VB calls for the up shift into third but the direct drum is slipping will the trans just stay in 2nd gear? Or will it drop down to first since the forward drum is always applied in forward gears.
Just trying to figure out if the valve body also has problems . or I just over powered the clamping force of top gear drum.

Car is an AMC Humpster (or should I say Dumpster) with a Complete Mopar drivetrain 360 Magnum also early c body 83/4" sure grip

Sorry haven't yet disassembled the complete trans . Thanks Jimi