Originally Posted by RWG75
Open the fuel line, patch in a piece that will reach a catch can as needed. Put an air line in the fuel filler neck, stuff shop rags around it to get a reasonably tight seal. Apply air pressure to force the fluid out through the pick up. Once it starts flowing it should continue on its own until near empty. Sometimes takes a couple tries to get it going or restart it.

That works fine and is what I would do. BUT, you need to be careful with the pressure or you can balloon the tank. Use a blow gun and apply enough air to get it moving. Maybe drop the tank. Shouldn't be hard on that. I wouldn't use anything other than gasoline unless the tank is dropped and cleaned out. Never get it all out otherwise.

Pull the distributor and prime the thing that way. Bar the engine over some while doing that to get everything lubed.

Pull the carb, Turn it over to drain it. Hit it with some 2+2 down the vent. Slosh it around and drain that. Give the cylinders a shot of JB80 down the the runners and/or pull the plugs and give them a shot through the plug holes.

If it's primed and lubed, spin the engine to get pressure before firing it.

That's what I would do

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.