I have a merge situation that occurs that is frustrating, it seems for everyone.

My thinking:

1. Nobody should expect others to EVER exceed the speed limit, no matter what the flow of traffic is.
2. EVERYBODY should drive at a speed they feel is safe for their abilities, their vehicle, their load, their trailer, and the conditions.
3. If that speed above can not meet legal minimums, or the flow of at least pick a number 5%? of the traffic, they should consider exiting the interstate, or if on a two lane, pull over and let backed up traffic to safely pass.
4. When entering an interstate, one should increase speed to closely match the flow of traffic, at or below the speed limit, faster only at your own legal risk.
5. When you are on the Interstate with approaching merging traffic, moving over one lane, if safely possible, is courteous, thoughtful, and safer for all, but not legally required, I believe.
6. This is where the problem arises, when I'm driving at the speed I feel comfortable with, based on 1,2,&3 above, I often move over for oncoming merging traffic. However sometimes that merging traffic is multiple cars, and closely spaced (tailgaters). So I am then in the left or center lane, being courteous, and safe and driving at my comfortable speed, and the merging traffic on my right is now speeding up, and there are no breaks in the traffic for me to safely merge back right, without others thinking I'm cutting them off. The cars starting to stack up behind seem to think I'm a left lane road hog. Nothing could further from the truth. The truth seems to be they were not paying enough attention to see why I moved over in the first place. The matter further deteriorates when the following drivers decide impatiently that I have no intention to move back to the right, they start to pass ,and others just start also passing on the right, and that just aggravates finding any opening for me to get back over.

Damned if do, Damned if you don't.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.