Originally Posted by calmopar
I'm just sick of windows.

I put bootable Ubuntu on a UDB memory stick, then I replaced my HDD with this for $29 https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-240GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B0719D9YL7/

Then I loaded Ubuntu onto the new SSD HDD. The thing gives new life to old machines. I do 99% of my work through a browser, so it's not a big deal. Free software (Libre office) if you want to work locally, but I just switched over to google (docs, sheets, etc).

Good advice above, though, on the Windows upgrade paths.

This!!^^^^ I put Linux Mint on this ancient(Vista) laptop many years ago. It runs flawless! No need for AV crapware, runs any office docs I need. Fast,secure, stable and free! I leave this thing run for weeks on end. No need for reboots to get the OS to run again,simple updates that never require long restarts, etc. This OS makes Windows look silly. It does none of the stupid crap Windows does.Easily configured to look just like your Windows desktop...my wife or kids hop on this(usually when their Windows junk doesn't work right)and have zero issues finding/doing what they need.If you want to save an old machine Linux(Ubuntu)is the way to do it. I'll never spend a penny on Windows again.

Last edited by Dcuda69; 01/15/20 07:49 PM.