Thanks for the inputs. To answer some questions:
1) I plan to keep the car for many years. But if I sell it in 2040, a cert then would be a smart selling point. The current cert was a buying point when I looked at this car.
2) It won’t have an engine upgrade this year, and unlikely in the next 3 years. The easy driver requirements for 10.00 and slower was part of my plan (in retirement). My IHRA license is 9.00 class D.
3) The car does have a title, and the factory VIN tag is on the dash. But the previous owner didn’t know what shop built it (all round tube chassis), and didn’t know of any chassis tag. I have not gone over every inch, but I haven’t seen any chassis maker tag.
4) It does have the “funny car” style cage around the driver.
5) If I can talk to the “local” inspector, I will ask about the VIN tag, and if he cares if the last cert expires next month or years ago (2040 recert before sale).
6) I didn’t make many passes this year, but the best in 69 deg wx was 6.41 in 1/8 th, 10.10 1/4 mile (different tracks). So it will be easy to keep slower than 6.40/10.00. The converter is real tight (at my request).

I will look at who inspects around here. A couple hundred bucks won't stop me.

Originally Posted by n20mstr
I would get it re certed

1. you bought the car used, make sure its OK and it will cert for later resale and you don't want any surprises later when you want to go fast

2. Be prepared that now they want a tag on the chassis, it has to have manf, manf date and a serial number. I went to a local PETCO and they have a machine that prints dog tags. You can make all the info up , they just want to see the tag riveted on the cage and they log that info with the serial number of the sticker.

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
I would absolutely keep the cert up, much easier to re-certify when still current and like others said resale is a much easier if that time ever comes. If the car was once a production car and still has a VIN attached they will use that for a tag, that is what they do with my tube chassis Challenger as the builder had the VIN re-affixed to the door jamb by NHP so it would still have a title, ect.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1