Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
The success is heavily dependent on your ability to either A) Understand how EFI works B) Your desire to know about how EFI works. The systems are sold as "plug it in, fire it up and go". While they're quite good, they require tuning if you want it to drive like a new-ish car.

Hmm. I go onto Holley's website and this is what I read:

Simple Calibration Wizard (Answer a few questions about your engine and it creates the base map, then starts tuning on its own!) - NO laptop required!
Self-tuning ECU means you don't have to be a computer/tuning wiz to have EFI!

But yet I read here I need a minor in IT to get it to work. It's not a question of whether I could do it or not, more like why should I have to? I recall the dealership training when the Lean Burn was introduced. Admittedly, it just controlled spark advance but I remember the instructor stressing that there were no maps or arrays in the system, the operating point was a unique variable determined by the inputs. So now 44 years later with all the advances in solid state technology and closed loop control with a number of sensors we are faced with the need to use a laptop to optimize a system? I always put more faith in the user group than the vendor (as Packard put it “Ask The Man Who Owns One” ) but it seems to me that Holley is either stretching the truth or outright lying. This thread has shaken my faith in aftermarket EFI keeping in mind that a vendor can use a standard configuration for thousands of cars without problems. shruggy

The Sniper internal programming makes a lot of assumptions. If you have a very generic car (350 chevy crate engine for example) the out of box Sniper will work okay. Most of what I work on is 600 to 700 hp big block Mopar engines with performance cams. The default programming will not work very well on an engine like that. It really isn't much different than a carb. If you have a stock 350 crate engine an out of the box carb will work. If you have a race engine you most likely need to have the carb tuned by a professional. EFI is the same way.