Originally Posted by A34

Hey Guys, got a cam selection question. I’m not sure what to do. Here’s the situation:

The car is a 1969 Charger, 440, 4-spd with 4:10 gears. It is a stock restoration, meaning, stock exhaust manifolds, intake, carb, distributor, etc. The car was last driven about 20 years ago and only has around 1000 miles on it. Short block still looks good. Upon teardown to check everything after it’s long hibernation, it is .030 over and has forged pistons marked TRW L2266F.
The heads are stock 88cc 906's. Looking the pistons up, it says today's version are a 8.66:1 compression ratio with stock 88 cc heads. These pistons don't come up to deck height, so the engine is probably 8.66:1 compression.

The heads were in bad shape, so they were recently redone with a bigger intake valve. They are probably now 83-85 cc. I also had the block decked. Running a .020" steel head gasket, should give me about 9:1 compression if I keep these pistons.

My dilemma is, do I put new pistons in an otherwise good build, to bring it up to factory compression, or can I find a cam that will work with the existing engine and deliver the same or maybe just a little better performance than stock? I’m not expecting a race car, but I’d like it to perform equal to, or maybe a little better than in ’69.

Do you guys have a cam recommendation that will work with the restrictions above, but give the same or better than stock performance? This will be a weekend cruiser, that I will beat on, and I don't mind running good gas. I'm debating on the extra cost of new pistons/balance/cam to get good performance (ok, stock+ performance, not pull your eyeballs out acceleration performance, I know it has limitations) vs. keeping it as is and just getting a cam that will work with the current engine.

First, verify the EXACT compression ratio. Don't guess. Second, get the CR up to a real 10:1 and buy a custom cam and you'll be golden.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston