Quote:

Hey CompSyn .... you speak well of the product ... just like anyone who has their hands in-the-profit pie of Amsoil sales.

How about a person like myself ....... that is just SKEPTICAL of the whole Amsoil "deal" ?

SKEPTICAL .... of just WHERE do all the combustion by-products go during the 25,000 miles that this oil is being used. Does this oil have some way to "magically" make these by-products disappear?

SKEPTICAL ..... that these sales people are just not up-front with everyone on WHY these Amsoil products are so expensive. SIMPLY .. because it is a multi-level-marketing program that it HAS to be that way ... because so many people in this pyramind have to make a profit.

Doublely SKEPTICAL .... since lots of these Amsoil advertising claims CLAIM that their product is so much better than the competition. Yet no independent proof is ever supplied.

And NO .... I am not talking about the infomercial like Prolong ....when they had Al Unser driving a Viper around a race-track with NO OIL in the motor at all. And then after an hour or so ... saying the motor was fine.

Well .... enough from me for now ... I have been up since 6am yesterday ....time to hit-the-hay .... but I will be-back.

You’re skeptical. That’s perfectly understandable. Unconventional claims can be intimidating. If anyone would like data to help address their reservations about this topic, feel free to ask.

For now, the question of combustion by-products keeps coming up. Below, a few related motor oil chemical component definitions.

Dispersant: A dispersing agent, which holds a very finely divided substance in a dispersed state in the carrier fluid. Such as sludge or a wear particles in a motor oil.

Detergency: The ability of an oil to keep working surfaces of equipment clean (i.e. free from contaminants) by holding oil-insoluble material in suspension thus preventing deposition where it would be harmful.

Total Base Number (TBN): The quantity of acid, expressed in terms of the number of milligrams that is required to neutralize all basic constituents present in one-gram sample. Otherwise known as ASTM Method D-644, D-974, or D-2896.

The above three chemical compounds are just a few of the items found in all modern day motor oils. These compounds of various grades and quantities are formulated into the finished product by formulators in order to meet current API – ILSAC specifications. Further, motor oil formulators have the ability to formulate their products with more or less of these compounds giving their products designability and proprietary characteristics.

For example compare the differences of TBN content in the popular motor oils below.

ClickHERE for a larger image.

Application: When a Used Oil Analysis UOA report comes back, TBN is often used to determine how long a motor oil can be used in the specific application it is utilized in. Note: A TBN value of one(1) on a UOA report is considered to be low.

This is just some of the story of how motor oils can be designed with extended life in mind.

CompSyn