Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by jbc426
I bought and ran one in my Magnum based 408. It seems to work well. The best trick i've found to keep my timing chains tight is to soak them on their side in quality synthetic gear oil.

I stumbled across just how good of a break in lubricant that stuff is when I ran out of chainsaw bar & chain oil one time. I substituted Redline synthetic gear oil in my saw and the life of my chains more than quadrupled. It was nothing short of amazing.

Started soaking my timing chains in it, and it has virtually eliminated any chain stretch in half a dozen of my motors so far. The results are remarkable.I also use the highest quality timing sets available. .

That is probably the best advice I've seen regarding timing chain stretch

I'll concur that a pre-soak will extend chain life. My old company used modified double roller and silent chains for conveyance sections in the larger assembly machine. We did studies on different chains, material, and process and the pre-soak was a significant increase in usable chain life. Think how long it would take oil to make it's way into those roller as that chain is spinning around after a dry start on a new build. It's not running in a bath.