I have had 8 3/4s under my street/strip cars forever. I have only busted one or two over the years so overall durability in not an issue. My problem is that they are always quiet at first, but man do they get noisy after a few years. The 3.91s I have in there now have gotten so loud that I can hardly hear the radio over them. I pulled them out last winter and checked everything and it all looked good. I can usually get 4 or 5 years (less than 10,000 miles) before they get unbearably noisy. That is the situation now.

Now I have a truck D60 that I can cut down, flange and set-up for the Cuda. It will obviously cost more to do that than replace the ring and pinion in the present 8 3/4. The only real reason I would go to the time and expense of changing over to the Dana is if it were to stay quiet.

I hit the track with Drag Radials 2 or 3 times a year if that matters. Auto trans, 1.5/1.6 60's, 3,900lbs.

So my question is: are the gear sets for the Danas any quieter than the gear sets for the 8 3/4s over time? Any help and direction here would be appreciated. I have to do something with the rear gears this winter. I just need to decide which is the better route to quiet rear gears over the years.

Master, again and still