Thank you for your reply and I understand that reply to a point but every arp stud ive ever installed has never had a thread left exposed on the stud and put in hand tight as arp says do not tq the stud in the hole, finger tight and ive seen some people go as far as it will go them just a hair back. But maybe you have encountered holes not drilled/tapped fully.

One thing I have noticed I dont like on some mid 70-s blocks, although my dislike dosent mean its wrong is but you can tell when they drilled and tapped the holes for the main caps in the block and they did it so forcefully it turned the immediate area around the holes black from heat.

I wont drop the shops names because of the bashing ways of the internet but some machine work ive had done by well known mopar shops, ex racers, then machine shop owners that involved areas concerning the mains and caps and such upon align boring and honing, none ever questioned or suggested to tap out more material when I take them a studded block to work on. But I also take them already hot tanked and cleaned blocks.

But I understand why people do it and do so on more crusty core blocks that have been in the elements for a while or are in humid areas.

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
Originally Posted by JRB
Before I reply to what I think I should reply,

"You do know that the holes aren’t tapped the whole way to the bottom during manufacturing of a stock block, right?"

In your opinion whats the significance of that?

Proper torque I’m thinking but what do I know. Just a self taught engine builder here

STOP POTATO HATE!