Originally Posted by Diplomat360
OK, so we have all heard of, read about, perhaps experienced the presumed advantage of the wider Mopar lifter diamater...however, I have to be honest and point out that for quite some time now as I have been looking at various cam listings I have been noticing the Mopar stuff (specific to the small block use - as that is my focus) with much less lobe lift then similar, if not the same, spec'ed cam grinds for the other engine brands.

Case in point, I am focusing on the retro-fit hydraulic roller cam grinds from Comp Cams, here are three examples:

1) Mopar Small Block - Xtreme Energy Retro-Fit XR292HR-10
Adv Dur => 292/300
Dur @ 0.050 => 242 / 248
Lift => .549 / .544
LSA => 110
RPM Range => 2800-6400

2) Chevy Small Bock - Xtreme Energy XR294HR Retro-Fit
Adv Dur => 294/300
Dur @ 0.050 => 242 / 248
Lift => .540 / .562
LSA => 110
RPM Range => 2800-6100

3) Ford Windsor - Xtreme Energy XR294RFHR Retro-Fit
Adv Dur => 294/300
Dur @ 0.050 => 242 / 248
Lift => .576 / .600
LSA => 110
RPM Range => 2500-6500

Alright...so the Ford grinds in particular are something that almost always lists a higher lobe lift. The Chevy...umm...here and there, but in the case of example we have here it is actually a tad higher, not by much, but it is.

So, is this because of the roller profile? Even then would you not expect the wider lifter to provide more room for a bigger diameter roller wheel and subsequently the ability to handle steeper lobe ramps?

OK, so this is pure theory (reasoning behind why these profiles are what they are), and I feel like too often we (the Mopar fans) like to say we get ignored by the aftermarket, but I find it hard to believe that given the amount of computerized manufacturing the makers like Comp Cams would not design a lobe profile that maxes out the lift.

Oh, and btw, if you say this is due to head flow restriction, while true for stock heads I would venture a guess that anyone running this level of cam has probably moved to heavily ported street heads or aftermarket stuff anyways.

So what gives here?

There are other cam companies than Comp. Many companies grind mopar specific lobes. Even Comp does. The MM series comes to mind. Unless you have an in at Comp, good luck getting them to grind a cam with the MM series lobe. The cam I run is very close to the MM lobe. But it's not a Comp because Comp wouldn't do it.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston