Sounds a lot like a weekend at Lions back in the good old days; I'm so fortunate to have been there. Sadly a lot of guys got hurt or killed, and that's not fun to watch or be a part of.
The Nostalgia Drags around the country have a lot of the stuff you're mentioning, and I prefer to run at those events. I don't see myself getting involved in the NHRA class structure, as I'd rather be around good, well-constructed "old" cars. A movement back towards stock-appearing bodies should help the automakers. Big money seems to ruin everything and it runs off the "little guy", but that happens when things turn "professional". Stock, SS, MP, PS, injected dragsters, Fuel Altered, FC & TF oughta do it for pretty much anybody - oh, and the Gassers, too. One of the problems is ET; a lot of guys want contemporary ETs, which works against the old-style atmosphere. The problem is "progress", so you may have to limit ET or speed, which would be difficult to pull off. One last thought is that I hate throttle stops & delay boxes and all that; but to some guys it's intriguing.