Originally Posted by dvw
My bet is you broke the joint and that broke the yoke? and then the tail shaft. Been down that trail myself. Worse case scenario. New tail shaft housing and possibly a tail shaft. I have a shaft here from a buddy's 66 Coronet. Broke the joint driving down the freeway. The shaft is bent at a 30 degree angle. Replaced the shaft and tail housing (along with welding up the floor pan and gluing the console back together). No other trans parts were replaced. been probably 10 years since, still fine.
Doug

I wish that was the deal. When the tailshaft went it didn’t just crack it pulled threads out of the main case in spots and chunks of case with 1/2 of the threaded holes in others. Honestly I can’t believe it didn’t break more stuff or leave all my ATF on the ground. I had just picked my 7 year old daughter up from school so I drove home real easy but she always asks to hear me bark the tires when we get back into our neighborhood so I stopped and gave the throttle a little stab- bang! Clang clang rattle rattle. My driveshaft loop is tied into the floor frame of the truck cab and all made from 1” .120”wall square tube- dumb strong so we were totally safe. She was really freaked out so I was really over doing the no big deal act- “we’re safe, close to home, I can push it into a parking spot and we can just walk home, I built it all myself once I’ll just do it again, it’s just a thing not a person, breaking stuff is just a normal part of the fun of hotrodding”

She bought the act but then kept asking why I was kept sighing after I got under to inspect it. I’m actually looking forward to building another 727- it’ll give me a chance to try a different ratio lever and get more comfortable doing it. I don’t mind short road trips to find parts and drag them home. I don’t much enjoy dropping or installing transmissions though that sucks and buying whizbang billet driveline parts is fun but I’d rather keep the $$ in my pocket...