Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by Mopar Mitch
As long as the engine is well cared for (oil and filter changes, spark plugs as needed) it should be A-OK. BUT... let the oil changes be ignored... and the return passages gradually become clogged and restrictive... welcoming progressive oil starvation and proper flow throughout the engine. This "family" of engines shares this potential problem more-so than certain other engines.

That almost sounds like the Mopar tag line.
The reality is these motors are designed for a 150K life span, some don't make it that far, others go farther. How it was taken care of has some effect, but that doesn't change the fact the motor was designed to die at 150K. Back in the old days, that 150K was probably acceptable because most vehicles didn't make it that far, but by today's standards, 150K should be "just broken in" not "just about broke."

I buy used vehicles, several of the modern Mopar motors leave a lot to be desired, this is not the "old Chrysler" for sure. I won't buy anything with the old 2.7, or anything with the 4.7 because most are on their death bed by the time they come into my price range. I really don't foresee a modern car in my future, I'll rebuild the old stuff. Gene

I remember reading on the hemi when it came out in the early 2000s. I learned the term "Specific Engineering." Built to last to a certain mileage and sometimes not made to be rebuilt as in not enough meat for an overbore..

Keep old mopars alive.