I lived with one in a 2002 RAM 1500 for almost 5 yrs. Never had any serious issue with it mechanically, but, no matter what I did or how I drove, it would only give me 14MPG. Downhill with a strong tail wind, 14. Around town in stop and go traffic.....14. I could get the MPG lower (easily) but never higher. When I owned this truck, there was a guy on here insisting he had essentially the same truck and he was knocking out 20+ MPG all day long.

And it was kinda gutless at lower RPM. There would be instances where I'd have to slow down for traffic, and just needed a little oomph to get back up to speed, no where near full throttle, and it wouldn't do it.

I had a dealer and an independent shop look at it to see if the computer needed to be reset or if anything was wrong and neither found anything. Both basically said it was just too small of an engine for such a big truck

I bought it when it just turned 40K miles, and I got rid of it when it had about 90K. For giggles, I recently found an old registration with the VIN on it and ran it thru Carfax. Truck is still going with over 250K on it somewhere up around Dallas. I wonder if it's still on the original engine.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥