Originally Posted by Scott Carl
74 Challenger, 318 with mild cam (Comp listed as stock 340/360 cam) AVS. This was a salvaged carb from a 71 LP 383 #MO 4966S. 600 cfm(?) I put a kit in it and it seems to run ok, but recently, I was recommended to check the floats as it was having h
warmed up idle issues and WOT loss of power (crapped out like it was fuel starved. I re-discovered that the floats are not the same. I could only get the float level at the very end on one as it slanted up toward the needle valve seat. Other was level when adjusted to height. Drop level seem similar on both. Still has issues when warmed up but acceleration and WOT better, but not great.

OK, the question. Keep working with the AVS, or get a Holley? Seeing them on Ebag for $50 to $80. then the price of a rebuild kit. Opinions?

Thanks, Scott

The AVS is a pretty basic 4bbl, not too much you can fool with and not too much you can take apart.

The Holley can be taken much further apart and you can adjust many more things. IOW you can get into more trouble with it if you are new to carbs.

That said, I can't imagine that if an AVS is giving you fits that a used Holley of unknown condition and in need of rebuilding would be a good solution.

You do know that you can bend the tang on the AVS float to "level" it out?