Originally Posted by AndyF
I have a FSM and it shows how to use a bearing puller to push the shaft out of the bearing in the column but a Mopar guy I was talking to the other day says he just taps the shaft out from below. The rubber bearing isolator is only a snug fit in the column so the whole assembly slides out without using a lot of force. So my question is if the shaft will come out fairly easily that way, then why does the FSM say not to do it? The bearing and the isolator have to come out anyway for replacement so why not just tap the shaft out with the bearing and then replace the parts on the bench? This is on my '65 Coronet so the shaft is solid without any plastic pins.

The FSM procedure is the factory approved method probably so that nothing is damaged. Have you ever seen what some knuckle draggers can do with a hammer?

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.