Hello all, it's been a while since I last logged in but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Car is my signature car, '71 Satellite with 360 magnum based 408/904 with 8.75 rear with 3.23 suregrip. I just had the transmission rebuilt (5-6 weeks ago) right before I moved from Texas to Wisconsin. Problem is it's not shifting right. I have the car in storage until I get back to Texas in June and plan to call the shop tomorrow to see about getting it looked at.

Here's the symptoms. Under hard acceleration the car doesn't shift into the next gear and "go". It will freewheel almost like it's in neutral and stay like that until I ease off the gas, then it will shift and accelerate hard as I get back on the gas. I noticed the trans kickdown linkage was not installed correctly at the carb. It was missing the spring that held it forward to the carb, so it wasn't moving as soon as the carb linkage moved. I fixed that first. Then I went down to the trans, where the lockdown linkage connects, and started out where the the lever on the trans was all the way to the rear when the accelerator was all the way to the floor. From there I made two more small adjustments at the trans connection for the kickdown linkage, moving the lever further back in small increments. This seemed to make it better but it still does it under hard acceleration. It also made the shift points better, like it was shifting into the right gear at the right time when picking up speed from a stop at a normal driving pace. Before that it was shifting through all gears 1, 2, 3 way too fast when pulling off from stoplights. I plan on making some more adjustments at the trans and testing it out as soon as I get back to Texas in mid June. Anything else I should look at or mention to the trans shop?

Thanks in advance
roe

Last edited by roe; 04/23/19 11:05 PM.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG